Dr. Shalom Drimer and Helene Drimer
Babywearing is the practice of wearing your baby in a specially designed carrier, wrap or sling. It fulfills your baby’s need for close physical contact and helps you to be sensitively attuned to their needs. It has many benefits for you and your baby, your family and the wider community. These benefits include the promotion of secure attachment, enhanced bonding, healthy emotional development and reduced crying.1 In fact, one study published in Pediatrics found that baby wearing for three hours per day reduced infant crying by 54 percent in the evening and by 43 percent over all.2
Back in the days of the village and larger families, you would have watched your own mum, aunts, friends breastfeed. You would have observed and absorbed the art of attaching a baby to the breast, watched different age babies at all stages of breastfeeding. These days it is all a little different.
- About Nurture
Nurture ~ Australia's Natural Parenting Magazine is your destination for thought-provoking, evidence-based articles on the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual elements of child-rearing from a natural parenting perspective.
Nurture is the only printed Australian natural parenting magazine and features comprehensive, informative feature articles on natural parenting, including attachment parenting and conscious parenting, topics and regular columns including:
- Dad’s Corner – interesting tales from a natural parenting father
- Breastfeeding – because it’s not always smooth sailing; plus advice on extended breastfeeding
- Babywearing – because keeping your child close not only feels great but also promotes secure attachment
- Activities for children/families – educational and fun activities to help your child develop and grow, including Montessori and Steiner activities for children
- Organic gardening with children – teach your child the fundamentals of food production and the natural world
- Recipes – baby led weaning, food for families to share, and recipes you can cook with your child
- Reader’s story – an opportunity for readers to voice their personal alternative parenting stories
- Book reviews – informative books on natural parenting, attachment parenting, conscious parenting and educational and spiritual books that may help your child discover their place in the world
Nurture is published quarterly and available from selected newsagents and specialist retailers nationally and via subscription.
We all want to raise healthy, happy children. For a more natural way to raise your child, think Nurture.