“Knock, knock, knock. May we come in?” I ask, tapping the old wooden post with the knuckles of my hand. And just below on the same post, in a similar manner, are the hands of the little children, imitating so beautifully. The fairies always allow us into their garden, the gateway to the creek. We would not think to pass without respectfully asking permission to play at their house!
When the volcanic mountain in our state, Mount St. Helens, started to rumble, one of my children asked, “Do people who live close by get mad when the volcano erupts?” “Do you get mad at the rain?” I asked. While he was pondering my question, his older brother said, “Being mad at the rain or a mountain erupting is as insane as being mad at another person.” I gasped with delight; indeed, by presenting itself totally unchangeable, the volcano teaches us to love reality. When it erupts, we don’t try to stop it, change its mind or judge it; we simply remove ourselves from the area and we get excited about the drama of nature from a safe distance. We live at peace with nature because we have realised that it doesn’t change for us. Yet, we expect humans to change for us. Such expectation often leaves us frustrated and powerless.
11 February, 2015 at 20:23
(Also published on Scarlet Eve's blog) This past week here in Perth, we have seen some spectacular ...
- About Nurture
Nurture ~ Australia's Natural Parenting Magazine is your destination for thought-provoking, evidence-based articles on the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual elements of child-rearing from a natural parenting perspective.
Nurture is the only printed Australian natural parenting magazine and features comprehensive, informative feature articles on natural parenting, including attachment parenting and conscious parenting, topics and regular columns including:
- Dad’s Corner – interesting tales from a natural parenting father
- Breastfeeding – because it’s not always smooth sailing; plus advice on extended breastfeeding
- Babywearing – because keeping your child close not only feels great but also promotes secure attachment
- Activities for children/families – educational and fun activities to help your child develop and grow, including Montessori and Steiner activities for children
- Organic gardening with children – teach your child the fundamentals of food production and the natural world
- Recipes – baby led weaning, food for families to share, and recipes you can cook with your child
- Reader’s story – an opportunity for readers to voice their personal alternative parenting stories
- Book reviews – informative books on natural parenting, attachment parenting, conscious parenting and educational and spiritual books that may help your child discover their place in the world
Nurture is published quarterly and available from selected newsagents and specialist retailers nationally and via subscription.
We all want to raise healthy, happy children. For a more natural way to raise your child, think Nurture.