The origins of the ‘othermother’ can be traced through indigenous cultures around the world, and according to Dr Stanlie James, is defined as “those who assist bloodmothers in the responsibilities of child care from short to long term periods, in formal or informal arrangements.
Let me set the scene for you. This was not like a car accident where everything is in slow motion or those moments of when your life is flashing in front of your eyes. This event is more about a volcano. A volcano does not just erupt, it builds up pressure and eventually in time BLAMO you have a mass amount of destruction in its path as it hurls and spews lava down the mountainside. What I am describing is how it felt the day I was asked for a divorce.
17 November, 2014 at 14:45
Leaves crunching underfoot, mud between your toes, swinging from the branches of a nearby tree… connecting with nature, there ...
- About Nurture
Nurture ~ Australia's Natural Parenting Magazine is your destination for thought-provoking, evidence-based articles on the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual elements of child-rearing from a natural parenting perspective.
Nurture is the only printed Australian natural parenting magazine and features comprehensive, informative feature articles on natural parenting, including attachment parenting and conscious parenting, topics and regular columns including:
- Dad’s Corner – interesting tales from a natural parenting father
- Breastfeeding – because it’s not always smooth sailing; plus advice on extended breastfeeding
- Babywearing – because keeping your child close not only feels great but also promotes secure attachment
- Activities for children/families – educational and fun activities to help your child develop and grow, including Montessori and Steiner activities for children
- Organic gardening with children – teach your child the fundamentals of food production and the natural world
- Recipes – baby led weaning, food for families to share, and recipes you can cook with your child
- Reader’s story – an opportunity for readers to voice their personal alternative parenting stories
- Book reviews – informative books on natural parenting, attachment parenting, conscious parenting and educational and spiritual books that may help your child discover their place in the world
Nurture is published quarterly and available from selected newsagents and specialist retailers nationally and via subscription.
We all want to raise healthy, happy children. For a more natural way to raise your child, think Nurture.